Thursday, April 12, 2012

Twitter Chat

I participated in #libchat last Wednesday.  While I enjoyed the conversation, I felt it was more geared towards public librarians.  There were so many people participating in the discussion it took us 1 1/2 hrs. to answer seven questions.  It was not exactly the most timely discussion.  I did enjoy hearing different stories and ideas from all over the country.  I think the most interesting response was to the question "What has been your most interesting/rewarding reference question/experience."  The funniest was someone mentioned needing to help a dominatrix post a video to her website. Another one that made me chuckle was a patron asked the reference librarian for a blue book.  She assumed the patron meant the car blue book. The patron was actually referring to a children's book with a blue cover.  Funny stories, but not much I could relate to in a school library.  Another question was about using social media to promote libraries.  I was surprised at how many people said their library board didn't support social media.  I plan on trying another #libchat to see if there will be more questions that are more relevant to me.  It may have just been a night for public library discussions, I'm not sure.   I would also like to try some of the other chats, but it's hard for me to find and hour or hour 1/2 block of time to devote to Twitter Chat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment