Thursday, March 22, 2012

Twitter - Who knew?

So, I've always thought of Twitter as a way to follow celebrities and get news updates.  I've had an account for a while, but I never really posted anything to it because I figured - "who really cares what I have to say."  It wasn't until I really starting searching that I found so many useful things!  I found several librarians I can follow, several libraries, teachers, authors, and publishing companies etc.  I thought about using twitter to do book talks.  When I get new books in the library, it would be fun to post to Twitter to let my kids know what new stuff is out there.  Students can also reply to my tweets and re-tweet to their friends. 

The book also had some really good ideas on how to use Twitter effectively.  It's a great tool to motivate and engage students.  They can use it to communicate with each other about a project or maybe something they have read.  It's a quick way to check for understanding on a certain topic or idea. 
I love the wiki also.  twitter4teachers.  What a great tool to have, and be able to access so much information all in one place!  I shared it with all of my colleagues, and heard many positive comments from them. 

I'm excited to use these new tools! I have learned so much already, just in these short few weeks. I had a teacher ask me the other day "how come librarians always spend the majority of their time on the computer?"  It's because we're constantly learning and researching new ways of doing things, and discovering ways to help teachers reach and engage students.  There is so much out there and this is such an exciting time to use technology!  

My Twitter name is ktsillman.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mean to delete your comment, but I did add my Twitter name in my blog.

      Delete
  2. Katie-

    I agree with your thoughts-who really cares what I have to say? When you start following people, and some of them even start following you back, it can be a little intimidating to think of everyone who could potentially be reading your words. At least, I am a little intimidated :). I can see why we are required to Tweet a minimum of 5 times per week for this class. It is forcing us to step out of our "box" and experience a PLN tool like Twitter to its full potential. If we have to Tweet, we are also checking in with our feed. I have come across some interesting blogs and websites by checking in with my feeds. Now, just to get that confidence up that someone out there might want to read what I Tweet about!

    ReplyDelete