Thursday, March 15, 2012

Personal Learning Networks

     As I was reading the introduction and first three chapters of our textbook, I couldn't help but feel excited (and a little nervous) about the tremendous amount of technology teaching opportunities there will be in the next several years.  One quote that caught my attention was on page 7 where it says "Just because students understand social networking and think it would be cool to use in schools doesn't mean they know how to use these tools for learning."  I never really thought about this, but it's so true.  Today's students are constantly using technology and social networking, but that doesn't mean they are using it for educational purposes.  It's our job as educators to help them take the knowledge they know about technology, and help them apply those skills to real world situations and other learning opportunities.  
     Chapter 1 lists the six different ways that the world is changing.  Moving from analog to digital, the first one mentioned in the book,  is changing things very rapidly.  More and more we are moving away from print materials and focusing on digital materials.  More publishing companies are focusing on eBooks vs. print.  Reference materials such as dictionaries and encyclopedias  are now available online.  This has been a huge discussion topic among librarians for several years now, and it is making a lot of them very nervous.  There is much uncertainty about what will become of the library.  I feel that libraries need to be keeping up with the current trends in technology while still providing books and materials for more traditional library users.  Chapter 1 also discusses what a personal learning network is, and how it's important for teachers and students.  We are now using the internet to not only connect with people for social reasons, but we are using the internet for learning purposes as well.
     Chapter 2 discusses five different examples of learning networks. Twitter, Diigo, Google Reader, Blogger, and Facebook.  I personally use all of these on a regular basis.  I don't enjoy Twitter nearly as much as Facebook, but I can see how all of these tools can create and enhance new learning experiences.  Chapter 2 is definitely a great resource for teachers who have never used these networks before.  It gives step by step directions to help you set up accounts.
    I thought chapter 3 was very interesting as it gave a specific example of a teacher creating a networked classroom.  The quote on page 61 summed it  up very nicely when it stated, "Instead of the teacher "teaching" and the students "learning," teachers and students become co-learners as well as co-teachers in the process."  This process encourages more learning and engagement among students.  




  
 

5 comments:

  1. I liked your librarian observations about digital materials-especially the encyclopedias and dictionaries. As I look at my current library and think about its possibilities if I am able to move into that position, I wonder about the whole section of shelves devoted to sets of encyclopedias and dictionaries. I think it is important for students to know how to access information from these "traditional" books, but I wonder if valuable library "real estate" still needs to be devoted to so many books. I did a Google search for "a library without encyclopedias" and came across the linked article-

    http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/blogs/142786085.html

    the author brought up some interesting points about all we miss when we are able to dial right in to what information we are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems the future of libraries and books is a hot topic of conversation today. The internet and mass media in general has changed the way we search for and view information. I think it's important, especially now, to keep up with the times. Our search techniques may have changed but the information is still the same.

      There was a time when record players were our only resource for listening to music of our choice at home. Sterios were built with cabinets to store those 78's and 45's. Now, all the music you could possible want to listen to will fit in to a device small enough to attach to the sleeve of your shirt...and it's mobile. I think it's important that we embrase the changes and adapt accordingly. I think libraries have to be equipped to satisfy the needs of as many different types of learning and learners as we can.

      Delete
  2. Katie - I agree with your comment regarding "much uncertainty about what will become of the library". I think the role of the libraries and the librarians is going to evolve and must change to meet the needs of the 21st century learners. It's unclear what this looks like, but we are exploring this in the district I work for. We have reached out and talked to librarians across the nation discussing this. This would not have been possible without my PLN and knowing who to connect with. I'm glad to hear you are already using Twitter, Diigo, Google Reader, Blogger, and Facebook. Hopefully, my love of Twitter as a PLN tool will shine through in this course and help you to enjoy it more. Out of all my PLN tools, Twitter is probably my favorite and most useful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment regarding books in the library reminded me of all the recent news regarding digital textbooks. Apple announced earlier this year the release of ibook 2 which has several features for textbooks. If you’re interested, there is a short video which shows some of these features in detail at : http://cnettv.cnet.com/ibooks-2/9742-1_53-50118588.html
    For a long time, I have been of two minds regarding digital textbooks. One great feature is they are easy to keep updated. On the other hand, I like being able to flip through a textbook and simply “browse.” Until I watched the video above I didn’t think a digital textbook would offer that capability. I was surprised to see how easy it would be to still browse through and then stop when something caught my attention. Of course, there are other factors to consider and I will miss the feel of an actual book in my hands, but I think there is tremendous promise in digital books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie,
    I agree with what you're saying, especially the part about our students utilizing technology. They are very tech savvy, but it's not usually for educational purposes. I'm constantly looking for ways they can use technology to improve their academics. Not only while they are in school, but something that they will want to do outside of school to improve learning.

    As far as what's going to happen to the library....libraries are here to stay. They may not look like the traditional library we are accustomed to, but they will provide the latest and past reads utilizing the latest in technology.

    ~Hope~

    ReplyDelete